What does 'Business Casual' Dress Code mean?
So you've got a training day coming up and the code is 'business casual' and all of a sudden you're breaking into a cold sweat - can I wear jeans? Can I wear flats? How can I still look fabulous, but casual and looking like I didn't try at all. What does business casual actually mean???
Take a deep breath, grab a coffee and let's break it down simply. Here are some basic rules to follow:
- Business casual is about being relaxed yet professional. No skin (I know I shouldn't have to say it, but just in case), no minis, no trackies (damn!).
- If you're wearing jeans, dress them up with heels, so you don't look like you rolled in from Sunday brunch.
- Flats work with anything other than jeans.
- Floral dresses can also be an option, just follow the rules above re: skin & mini's. Shoe's can be tricky to not look too beachy, you could pair it with clean white sneakers to escape that.
- Yes! You can wear a t-shirt! Dress it up with a fancy skirt and heels, or an amazing chunky necklace.
The first thing I want you to do when you've put an outfit together is ask yourself: would I wear this in Business Class on a plane (potentially sitting next to Sheryl Sandberg.. or Naomi Simpson... or Janine Allis - you get my dirft)? If the answer is no, try again.
Here's some inspo we found for you:
Got any questions on your next 'bizcas' outfit? Ask away!